Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Toward New Media Texts

With the tremendous amount of technology being used within the classroom it is very important that teachers become familiar with how to use this to benefit all students. But how do teachers who have been raised on alphabetic literacy and who have not had much experience with new media texts of today. These teachers should be trained on how to use these tools by other professionals. It is important that teachers become familiar with their students' multiple literacies and in order to do this they must be able to access optional forms of texts including multimedia texts.

The lack of technology use may be due to the fear of new things. I know personally I fear what I do not understand, but I am not afraid to explore new things. The article includes some great ideas that can be incorporated in any classroom, but realistically teachers are often unable to do this due to the hype of high stakes testing and accountability. All of the ideas that the article highlights are amazing don't get me wrong, but to what extent is too much. I think that teachers should try to balance out media/technology with traditional practices to ensure that students are being exposed to a variety of learning experiences.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that teachers should stay up to date with technology. If you really think about it, many students know more about it than we do because that is just what they are used to. It makes me think of when I got my mp3 player for Christmas. My 8yr old cousin had to show me how to use it! It's kind of sad but it just goes to show that if you keep up with new technology, you will not be afraid to use much of it in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete